Funds & Financial Report – Fall 2017

Fetch Dog Park Fall Financial Report 2017

June 13, 2017 to November 1, 2017

Assets/Income
Old National Checking Account Balance $3,616.91
Petty Cash $200.00
Income
Income from Membership sales 2017 $3,495.00
Donations to Fetch In Kind
John C. Mason, Jr. (Replacement Mower Fund) $200.00
Darrel Jacobs (Sealant for wood Fencing) $556.78
Elisabeth Grzelak (Fundraising Basket Supplies) $60.56
Elisabeth Grzelak (Rulers Shipping donation) $15.99
Applications, Rules and Instructions Printing $375.00
(Anonymous Donor)
Total Income from Donations $1,208.33
6/13/2017 – 11/1/2017
Expenses/Debits

Wagner Lock & Key (card keys) $107.39
Penn Jersey Paper Company Poly Waste Bags $59.46
Applications, Rules & Instructions Printing Donated
Beamsco Web Hosting $118.00
Humane Society of Danville Donation Basket $40.22
Office Max ( labels, paper, envelopes, & supplies) $113.52
Postage $94.15

Expenses from 6/13/2017 to 11/1/2017 $ 532.74

2017 Membership Sales to Date
148@ $20
43 @ $10
21 @ $5
4 Memberships Donated for Humane Society of Danville Woofstock 2017 Fundraiser Unclaimed as of 10/29/2017
3 Donated Memberships for Community Fundraisers Unclaimed as of 10/29/2017
1 Lost Fobs
1 Damaged Fobs
Income from Membership Sales
1/1/2017 to 11/1/2017 $3495.00
Total memberships sold as of 10/29/2017 212
Total NEW Members to Fetch 2017 59
Total deactivated 1/2017- 11/2017 66
Total memberships sold for 2017 to date 212
Projected Park Expenses for 2018

  • Annual Liability Insurance West Bend $747
  • Beamsco Web Hosting $118
  • Postage
  • Continuing Expense for Dog Waste Bags ($23.00 per roll)
  • Wagner Lock & Key Gate Card Keys ($4.95 each plus tax)
  • Replacement of Lawn Mower
  • Fence Maintenance and Grounds Supplies
  • Membership Tags ($67.00 for 300)
  • Office Supplies
  • Brochures & Posters

11/1/17
Elisabeth Grzelak
Secretary/Treasurer
Fetch Dog Park

Minutes – November 1, 2017

posted in: Minutes | 0

The FETCH Fall Meeting was held Nov. 1, 2017, 5:50-6:30 p.m., at the Danville Public Works and Urban Development Building, 1155 East Voorhees Street, Danville, IL.

WELCOME

New FETCH Chairman John Linville welcomed new leadership-team member Shelley Cox and new park rangers Brad Weaver and Connie Kittell. Attending the meeting were FETCH founder and past chair Dr. John Mason, Jr. and past chair Brad Wheeler.

The FETCH leadership team is grateful for Dr. Mason’s generous and effective leadership and look forward to his continued input as ex-officio member. The team also extends its thanks to Brad Wheeler for his service as co-chair during this past year, as well as his past and continuing service in maintenance of the park.

Also in attendance were leadership-team members Elisabeth Grzelak (secretary/treasurer), Kevin Fretty, and Terri Clayton; and park members Vince and Kitty Koers. Steve Lane, from Danville’s Public Works Dept., stopped in prior to the formal start of the meeting to answer some questions, but was unable to attend.

APPROVAL OF JUNE 2017 MINUTES AND FALL 2017 FINANCIAL REPORT

Minutes of the June 2017 Spring Meeting were approved, as was the Fall 2017 Financial Report submitted by Treasurer Elisabeth Grzelak. See the Financial Report, to be attached to these minutes, for details. The total number of memberships sold in 2017 as of this date is 212, 59 of which are new members.

MAINTENANCE

Mower: The mower currently is working well, since the City did some repairs. Some repair needs to be done on a tire. The team thanks Kevin Fretty for donating a small mower that allows mowing in hard-to-reach sections of the park.

Brad Wheeler submitted documents from a John Deere dealer as to the cost of purchasing a new mower. The cost would range from $3000-$10,000. FETCH has started a special “Mower Fund” of money set aside specifically in anticipation of a future mower purchase. Dr. Mason donated the first $200 to the fund.
Fence Rails: Some fence rails have broken since the last meeting. Shelley Cox conveyed the message that Kori Bowers will volunteer to replace the broken rails—the landscape team will make the rails available to him. Concern was expressed that some of the posts are decaying and will need to be replaced in the future.

Darrel Jacobs generously donated sealant for the rails of the special needs area. Initial sealing has been completed, but spraying the sealant did not work effectively on the side of the rails that is faced by wire fencing; sealing on that side will need to involve brush painting and a lot of manpower, perhaps next spring or summer. John Linville will contact member Dave Williams, who had some previous ideas about manpower to help with painting.

Weed spraying: The issue of when future weed spraying will need to take place and who will do the spraying was unresolved.

Erosion: Concern was expressed that erosion has been expanding the gap between the turf and the bottom of the fence—a problem that in the future could enable dogs to escape under the fence, or make it easier for wild animals to get in, unless it is addressed. This issue was tabled for the time being.

Sweeping: The cement walkways and the handicap parking pad periodically need to be swept. All members are encouraged to sweep when there is a need. A broom is available at the park.

GATE ENTRY ISSUES

FETCH members are encouraged to be patient if they experience difficulty with the electronic gate. If an electronic problem has occurred at the gate, the lock will automatically reset itself in ten minutes, and members should then be able to get in. Since the sign that informs members to avoid punching the numbers on the entry key pad has been up, there has been only one known incidence of a member having difficulty getting into the gate—in that case, the lock reset within 5 minutes.

NEUTER AND SPAY ISSUES

FETCH rules dictate that female dogs in heat are not allowed anywhere within the park. At this time, although male dogs who have not been neutered are allowed in the park, neutering is strongly encouraged (members to follow the advice of their vet as to timing) because the presence of intact male dogs in the park can precipitate conflict. The leadership team weighed the pros and cons of possibly requiring male dogs to be neutered after 1 year as a condition of membership; however, it was decided that such a requirement is too broad a prohibition. All park members are encouraged to report (to any leadership team member or park ranger) conflict within the park that involves an intact dog so that appropriate measures can be taken to prevent future incidences.

OLD BUSINESS

According to Steve Lane, the City will address the following soon: potholes and signage.

It is unclear exactly when the City will be able to address the following: garbage toter for the special needs area; water for the special needs area; umbrella for the special needs area.

Dr. Mason inquired about the status of making revised posters to be hung in vets’ offices. He will be contacting a family member as to whether she still has the electronic file for the original posters; if he can locate the file, he will send it to Elisabeth Grzelak, who will then ensure that the posters are made.

NEW BUSINESS

Brad Weaver witnessed the need to have parking stripes painted on the handicap parking pad to ensure that enough space is available between cars so that individuals can exit and enter their vehicles. It was agreed that painting should be done. John Linville will contact Steve Lane regarding such.

MEETING AJOURNED, 6:30 P.M.

Fetch Dog Park Honors Dr Mason

posted in: News & Updates | 0

BY Mary Wicoff – Danville Commercial News

Ten years ago, Dr. John C. Mason Jr. had a vision of opening a dog park so pooches, such as his own Maggie, and people could socialize.

“This park has come a long way,” he said, while relaxing recently with 11-year-old Maggie and a friend, Barbara McColm, at Fetch Dog Park. “All the trees have made a difference.”

Read the full article by clicking here.

Minutes – June 13, 2017

posted in: Minutes | 0

FETCH DOG PARK MEETING
JUNE 13, 2017 CITY OF DANVILLE VOORHEES BUILDING

Co-Chairman Mason was late for the meeting so the meeting was initiated by EGrzelak, Sec/Treasurer. Following her report Co-Chair Mason returned. The Treasurers report will be displayed in its normal location.

ROLL CALL:
Presesnt: VKoers, KKoers, SCox, KBowers, TClayton, JLinville, JSchatz, KFretty,
SLane(DanvilleParks)
JMason, BWEheeler Co-Chairs, EGrzelak Sec/ Tres
Absent: SBarney, SHoughton, DJacobs
WELCOME: Co-Chairman JMason The meeting was called to order at 5:30 PM by Sec/Tres/ Egrzelak. Co-Chairman welcomed and thanked all in attendance. He reminded the group that we had come a long way since our meetings to gauge interest and start raising funds in 2007. From our formal memorandum of agreement with the City of Danville in April of 2009 to the Grand Opening Gala in June 2010 and now the completion of the Special Needs section and Security on June 13, 2017. All of us here tonight along with many others aided with their time and money. Now all in the City of Danville and the surrounding area have beautiful Fetch Dog Park to enjoy. I feel sure the Espenscheid family would appreciate the beautiful addition within their gift. One of our valued early members of the Leadership Team, Ruth Schatz passed away recently. We want to recognize her memory and her contributions to our park with a tree in her honor. We share her loss with her husband and member Joe Schatz.

Review of 2016 (April 12, Nov 14 meetings) Co-Chairman JMason, DJacobs (review prior to meeting)
⦁ New projects: Special Needs Area, Security system. These are completed and have enhanced the appearance of the entry area. New signage to be discussed in present meeting. The safety and cleanliness of the park has benefited. Thanks to efforts of members and the community anonymous donors we are now debt free.
⦁ Maintenance: A special thanks to the volunteers who have performed all the work necessary: KBowers, KFretty, DJacobs, JLinville, BWheeler
⦁ Fence rails repaired and discards being left at base to discourage digging under, preservation spraying to be done on special needs fence by DJacobs soon.
⦁ Drainage working great on north end of park. Thanks to the “Bridge and Lake Mistake “engineered by JVenute.
⦁ Grass, weeds tallgrass: The weeds are being monitored and sprayed by DJacobs. Anti-Crabgrass efforts of past seasons have decreased the amount to manageable. No further action planned. The tall grass is being monitored and mowing has been contracted for. Concern about future and reliability of present mower led to decision to begin stockpiling funds for eventual replacement.
⦁ Membership: Retention and promotional effort done in past were reviewed. EGrzelak has colored brochures available for members to use and disseminate. DJacobs has made presentations to requesting clubs such as Rotary. Providing information material to stores for “stuffing” is no longer considered-not cost efficient. Development of a trial partnership with the Vermilion County Adoption Van to accompany them and have information on Fetch available to this population needs to be further evaluated. Having Leadership available in case of prolonged absence has been successfully dealt with utilizing a Co-Chairman (Brad Wheeler) and volunteers taking over areas of the Sec/Treasurer function assisting EGrzelak.
⦁ Review concluded and after a brief discussion the report and previous meetings were approved by voice vote.

TREASURER REPORT: EGrzelak report dating from November 12, 2016 to June 13, 2017. Copy of report to be attached to minutes.
Cash balance $ 3238.67
Income from membership sales $2350.00
Donations $442.00
Expenses $1734.38
Issues of fob loss, deactivation of fobs, and projected expenses were discussed and will be addressed at current meeting.
Following discussion the report was approved.

MAINTENANCE REPORT AND DISCUSSION Co-Chairman BWheeler presented and all volunteers as mentioned in summary are active and much appreciated.
⦁ Fence rails nothing new to add
⦁ Drainage worked very well during our heavy rains
⦁ Grass The weeds, tall grass, and crab grass previously discussed nothing new
⦁ BWheeler wanted to know what the Team and SLane thought about the park mowing in terms of frequency and appearance. The Team unanimously expressed support and appreciation for the mowing being done by KFretty and BWheeler. SLane concurred. Mowing would continue to be done as they judged it necessary. SLane was thanked for safely providing the gas needed and he was asked that since park was debt free should it be purchasing the gas. SLane reported the City was getting more than their money’s worth as a result of the availability of this new asset to the city parks and the mowing of the trails. The same reasoning applied to use of weed killer.
⦁ Signage TClayton presented the signage changes planned for the park. Over the past 3 months she has worked to rework the present signage to simplify the wording and reduce the number of signs. All of her efforts were communicated via email until the present format was agreed on. It was now presented to the team in its complete form as Plan 1. Printed descriptions of Plan 1 along with the Plan 2 option was provided by TClayton for clarification. All Team Members then participated in a question/answer discussion moderated by TClayton and SLane. After thorough discussion Plan 1 was formally accepted and TClayton was applauded for her excellent work and presentation. She then stated that with the help of the SLane and his department one of the signs had been completed with a slight change and she handed it to EGrzelak to present to the group.Fetch Dog Park - Dr Mason Special Needs Area

JMason was quite surprised and honored. He reflected on the history presented in the opening remarks of so many who worked to achieve the dream thanking all.

MEMBERSHIP Co-Chairman JMason
⦁ Fee Changes. With added amenities, especially the security system, and anticipated future expenses such as the new mower it was felt an increase in our fee for 2018 was necessary. The decision: $30.00 for 1 dog, $15.00 for second and any additional dogs would be $10.00 each.
Loss or damage fob replacement $20.00
Reactivation fee $5.00 (failure to renew after 30 days leads to deactivation)
⦁ Publicity and awareness
⦁ Design an updated poster for distribution Vets, etc Egrzelak JMason to pursue.
⦁ Trial event with the Vermilion County Adoption Van to provide information and membership material to interested parties. JLinville agreed to explore idea with Vermilion County animal Shelter Foundation and try to set a tentative date for the trial.
⦁ VKoers suggested we explore developing a video (ie YouTube) that could be used as a link from our Fetch Dog Park web site. Views of the site, entrances, security system, and parking with members and their dogs enjoying the area would be able to be viewed by many. It could also be used at events to illustrate the park in presentations. This suggestion was approved by all and VKoers agreed to proceed with research and development of this exciting idea.
⦁ Rules for Special Needs Area were discussed and it was felt that People with special needs had priority. Other circumstances such as dogs that needed “cool down could also use the area.
⦁ A means to identify Park Rangers other than a vest or cap was discussed. There is a definite need for this in some of the members/handlers who flagrantly ignore the rules. After discussion a lanyard system was approved. It will be implemented by EGrzelak .
WEB SITE EGrzelak The redesign of our web site has been completed and its new format is appealing and much easier to use. Thanks to Christina Hardwick who is now the owner. She has continued the great work of Steve Foster who was the founder and owner of the BEAMSCO Company for many years. He appeared at one of our early meetings and said “you need a web site to achieve your dream and I am giving you one” .Little did we realize what a great gift that was. EGrzelak discussed an additional change coming up that will be a section called Etiquette. This will help potential members become good and responsible members.

OTHER ISSUES OR BUSINESS There was none to present

ADJOURNMENT A motion for adjournment was made and seconded. The meeting ended at 7:30 PM

Respectfully Submitted
John C. Mason Jr. June 17, 2017.

C
.

Funds & Financial Report – Spring 2017

Fetch Dog Park Spring Financial Report 2017
November 12, 2016 to June 13, 2017

Assets/Income
Old National Checking Account Balance $3,238.67
Petty Cash $200.00
Income
Income from Membership sales to date $2,350.00

Donations to Fetch
Donations for Leaf a Legacy
Pride Grows City of Danville
(Heather Jacobs in honor of Dr. Alice Jacobs) $200.00

John C. Mason, Jr. (brochure printing) $150.00
Donations in Memory of Ruth Schatz $200.00
Debbie & Kerry Clapper (in kind donation) $30.00
Elisabeth Grzelak (envelopes) $35.00
Applications, Rules and Instructions Printing Anonymous Donor
Kori Bowers & Shelley Cox (ice melt) $27.00
Total Income from Donations
11/12/2016 to 6/13/2017 $642.00
Expenses/Debits
Wagner Lock & Key (card keys) $197.60

Faulstich Printing (Fetch Brochure 1,000) $144.46
Donated by John C. Mason, Jr
Office Max Mailing Supplies $14.13 Postage $95.00
Penn Jersey Paper Company Poly Waste Bags $61.19
Applications, Rules & Instructions Printing Anonymous Donor West Bend Insurance (Annual Liability Ins) $747.00
Beamsco New Web Design $275.00
Leaf a Legacy Pride Grows City of Danville (Jacobs) $200.00

Expenses from 11/12/2016 to 6/11/2017 $1,734.38

2017 Membership Sales to Date
101@ $20
26 @ $10
14 @ $5
4 Memberships Donated for Humane Society of Danville Woofstock 2016 Fundraiser Claimed 2/2017
4 Donated Memberships for Fundraisers Unclaimed
2 Lost Fobs
3 Damaged Fobs
Income from Membership Sales
1/1/2017 to 6/11/2017 $2,350.00
Total memberships sold as of 6/11/2017 145
Total NEW Members to Fetch 2017 33
Total deactivated 1/2017- 6/2017 46
Total memberships sold 6/11/2016 135
Total memberships sold for 2016 204

Projected Park Expenses for 2017 – 2018

  • Annual Liability Insurance West Bend $747
  • Beamsco Web Hosting $118
  • Postage
  • Continuing Expense for Dog Waste Bags ($23.00 per roll)
  • Wagner Lock & Key Gate Card Keys ($4.95 each plus tax)
  • Replacement of Lawn Mower
  • Fence Maintenance Supplies
  • Membership Tags ($67.00 for 300)

6/11/17
Elisabeth Grzelak
Secretary/Treasurer
Fetch Dog Park

Minutes – November 17, 2016

posted in: Minutes | 0

FETCH DOG PARK FALL MEETING MINUTES November 14, 2016
5:30-7:15 pm
2016 Voorhees Danville Public Works Bldg.
Leadership Team members: Kevin Fretty, Darrel Jacobs, Elisabeth Grzelak, Shirley Barney, Brad Wheeler, Steve Houghton, John Linville, Terri Clayton. Members: Willa Mineo,Vince Koers, Kitty Koers

ROLL CALL, SIGN IN, WELCOME REVIEW. Chairman Mason opened the meeting and summarized the April meeting minutes and their location for discussion in present meeting. They had been circulated and approved by email. A sign in sheet was passed around. A thank you note received from Brad Wheeler and his family thanking us for our support during their recent tragedy was also recognized.

OLD BUSINESS

  • Review costs, projections, status of cost over budget projections
  • Rail fence: Care, repair Tiling and drainage, Weed control, mulching blade for mower
  • Recruitment, brochure, “spreading the word”
  • Humane Society/exercise?
  • Leadership provisions

TREASURER”S REPORT AND DISCUSSION: EGrzelak Sec/Tres ( Copy attached) Copies of the printed report were reviewed and the Sec/Treas summarized salient points. We received $500.00 for a special table for the Special Needs area from AMBUCS. This followed DJacobs informative presentation at their meeting. SLane reported the table is ordered but has not arrived. Thank you letter to be written.

To date there have been 199 memberships sold for an income of $3,340. This compares to 191 in 2015. Total cash assets at this time are $2162.82. DJacobs discussed where we stand on the cost overruns on our security and Special Needs project. Within the City Parks Department Budget has come some assistance, Offut Construction has been very patient and helpful. Appropriate thank you letters will be sent (Ahrens, Offut). He feels that there will be some more funds in grants he is working on. Several of these will add “BONES” to our Donor plaque. He will see that is kept up to date and at this point is comfortable that our debt will be taken care of satisfactorily. The status of our mower, replacement, and mulching blade was discussed at length. Thanks to the care of city mechanics it is still in good running order BUT replacement is inevitable and the Sec/Tres was instructed to set up a fund for its replacement and donations and any extra cash from income/expenses will be diverted to this Fund. There was consensus from our volunteer mowers that a mulching blade was not necessary. We now purchase our dog waste disposal bags

MAINTENANCE Issues: DJacobs, KFretty, BWheeler, JLinville are the principal volunteers that do all this work. Thanks to them. DJacobs reported on the progress and plans for spraying the troublesome thistle. Lot of volunteer man hours involved but going well and with new quick acting spray along with the frost cooperating all seems to be going well. A major delay has occurred due to a tragedy in Milford. There are several trees that may need some special treatment in spring and he will watch for it. John Linville is doing a great job with fence repair and there is a large supply of replacement rails. The preservative treatment on the new special needs fence is planned in the spring. The drainage tile system “Bridge and Lake Mistake” are working pretty well. BWheeler is using Roundup that the city uses in its parks for areas along fence and other hard to mow areas and it is working well. Unfortunately we have a crabgrass problem along the fences and in northern portion of the park that has created large muddy areas after the frost and crab grass death. A discussion was held and several ideas discussed. With the lack of consensus SLane suggested he had some lawn experts in the Parks Department that he would have look at the situation and render a best approach for solution to eradicate the crab grass.

STATUS REPORT: SPECIAL NEEDS, SECURITY SYSTEM: All agreed that the Special Needs area with the new entrance and security system has added greatly to the appearance and appeal of the park. Its appearance–new parking area, the extensive trails that we help mow have transformed Espenschied Park into an addition that we and the City of Danville can be very proud of. Our partnership has come a long way from the idea to fruition. The kinks are now worked out with the security system and all are pleased with the results. Wagner Lock and Key has done a great job for us. This system allows us to deny entrance to a member that has not followed the rules. It has been invoked on one occasion.

COMMENTS SLane. SLane agrees that the Danville Park system has benefited from our work on developing the park and had no adverse reports. Thanks were expressed by all the members of Fetch Dog Park present to SLane for all the assistance, cooperation and advice he has given to us.

OLD BUSINESS:
Recruitment, brochures, dissemination, Status/Plans. The designed colored brochure (lots of help from Cassie Keister) is a beauty and is being used by DJacobs in his presentations and also EGrzelak on occasion. Unfortunately it is to expensive to hand out as a “throwaway or stuffer” at Pet Supplies Plus, Big R, Tractor Supply and other locations.($0.35/copy) so that has not been done. In the discussion that followed VKoers suggested we investigate making a black white copy and folding our own. If that is feasible we will start with a thousand trial and see if it makes sense to continue this effort. VKoers agreed to pursue this (black&white printing) and KKoers agreed to do the tri-fold. JMason agreed to re-imburse Fetch for this trial. If it appears financially feasible and produces some results we can continue it on prn basis.
Several members have made us aware that posters we put in the community some time ago have the old arrangement with the Humane Society on them. This needs to be dealt with and JMason volunteered to visit the locations where they were placed and change them. At that same time he will offer them a new poster in the future and seek their cooperation in distributing the black&white brochure being developed.
All agreed that with rising expenses and our failure to make more people aware of the very existence of the park we needed to become more aggressive. In the discussion that followed it was suggested that we partner with Vermilion County Animal Control Adoption effort and set up a booth offering memberships when they display their adoptable dogs. An open house similar to our opening gala was also discussed. Raising fees was also considered. After review and consideration the decision was made to pursue partnership with the Vermilion County Adoption van.
In the effort to raise awareness of the park, increase the number of members and Park Rangers EGrzelak and other members designed a new form that members who are interested in joining the Group, Leadership Team or becoming rangers can down load from our web site and use to register interest. This application would then be reviewed by the Leadership Team. The Koers took an application form and are considering.
Fund Raising/Debt: Discussed under Treasurer Report by DJacobs

Humane Society Issues-Signage, dog exercise: Signage discussed under Recruitment. Nothing new to report on exercise.

Behavior Issues: There have been 2 known episodes. 1. An owner ignored the rules by bringing her unruly and aggressive dog to the park and essentially denied entrance to 4 members. The incident was not witnessed but was reported shortly after it happened to two rangers who arrived. The offender has not returned to the park and no action was taken. 2. A member refused to discipline his dog and take action when the actions of the dog were too aggressive. He was warned several times and the problem continued. His park entrance was denied by disabling his security/entry fob and he was sent a registered letter explaining this action and decision. He was informed of the appeals process. He has not responded.

NEW BUSINESS
Service Dogs: DJacobs proposed that we offer a free membership to service dogs and their owners. His primary concern was for veterans and their service dogs. This group was one of the reasons the Special Needs area was developed. After discussion it was felt that the “service dog” concept is widely abused and it would not be a good idea to offer a free membership just based on that title. Our fees are low and it is unlikely that would be a significant deterrent. However the group felt that in the event a deserving owner was identified and substantiated we would have no trouble granting membership on a case by case basis.

Officers: A plan to provide for continuity of Leadership on the Team in the event of illness, impropriety, travel plans or other problems was felt to be necessary. After discussion it was decided to change our present structure and create the positions of Co-Chairman. Brad Wheeler was nominated to fulfill this role and he agreed. A motion was made on this idea and the Leadership Team voted unanimously to proceed with this approach. Chairman JMason (now Co-Chair) concurs with this plan. Bwheeler will be informed of all information as the Chairman has been in the past (primarily email communication) and be in the loop-planning, meeting schedule.

ADJOURNMENT
With no further business to discuss the Team voted to adjourn the meeting at 7:15 PM
Respectfully Submitted 4:30 PM November 17, 2016
John C. Mason, Jr. MD
Co-Chairman of Fetch Dog Park Leadership Team

Funds & Financial Report – 2016

Fetch Dog Park Fall Financial Report 2016

April 12, 2016 to November 12, 2016

Assets/Income

Old National Checking Account Balance $1,962.82

Petty Cash $200.00

Income

Income from Membership sales to date $3,340.00

Donations Made to Fetch

Donations for Leaf a Legacy

Pride Grows and City of Danville $200.00

David Williams $180.00

Dr John Mason (brochure printing) $300.00

Ambucs $500.00

Memorial Donations ( Brad & Dana Wheeler) $480.00

Elisabeth Grzelak Fetch Basket Humane Society $70.00

Of Danville Silent Auction Fundraiser

Elisabeth Grzelak Fetch Basket

Vermilion County Animal Shelter Fundraiser Raffle $25.00

Total Donations Income from 4/12/2016 to 11/12/2016 $ 680.00

Expenses/Debits

Wagner Lock & Key (Security Lock & Instillation) $1,865.48

Wagner Lock & Key Card Key & Fobs (ongoing) $236.26

Faulstich Printing (Fetch Brochure 1,000) $335.04

Donated by Dr John Mason, Jr

Postage for Gate Key Mailing $178.00

Registered Letter Jerry Aguirre $8.80

2017 JP Cooke Membership Tags 300 $76.66

Dog Waste Bags County Market North $22.22

Penn Jersey Paper Company Poly Waste Bags $65.77

Beamsco Web Hosting (Annually) $118.00

City of Danville Fencing Special Needs $1,037.75

Alvin Fence Company Special Needs $2,475.00

Paul Offutt Construction $8,100.00

Old National Insurance Co (Annual Liability Ins) $851.00

Brad & Dana Wheeler (Memorial Donations) $280.00

Leaf a Legacy Pride Grows and City of Danville $200.00

Expenses from 1/1/2016 to 11/12/2016 $15,849.98

2016 Membership Tag sales to date

142 @ $20

44 @ $10

12 @ $5

1 lost Fob $20

3 Damaged Fobs N/C

Income from tag sales $3,340.00

Memberships Donated for Fundraisers 2

Total Memberships sold as of 11/12/2016 199

Total memberships sold for 2015 191

Projected Park Expenses for 2017

1. Annual Liability Insurance Old National Bank May $851

2. Beamsco Web Hosting August $118

3. Postage

4. Continuing Expense for Dog Waste Bags ($23.00 per roll)

5. Wagner Lock & Key Gate Card Keys ($3.95 each plus tax)

6. Replacement of Lawn Mower

7. Fence Maintenance Supplies

11/12/16

Elisabeth Grzelak

Secretary/Treasurer

Fetch Dog Park

Minutes – April 12, 2016

posted in: Minutes | 0

Fetch Dog Park spring meeting MINUTES April 12, 2016 Voorhees Street City Building

5-7 PM ( 2 hours)

Members present Leadership Team: Grzelak, Jacobs, Mason, Fretty, Clayton (new member), Houghton, Linville, Barney,Wheeler, Venute. Members: Mineo, Rizic, Ewing, Williams

Roll call, sign in, welcome:  The meeting was opened by Chairman Mason who summarized items from our September 2015 meeting.  Those minutes had been circulated by email and were approved. Following the last meeting the Shadly’s resigned. I discussed the issue with her and she had compelling reasons for her decision. The main topic in that meeting was the need to increase membership and we have had very little success and this issue will be addressed in today’s meeting.

Treasurer’s Report was discussed by Elisabeth Grzelak (copy included).  Of note were the bills for the fencing completed in our special needs project (3500.00) and the sale of 98 tags with income from them of $1,650.  Our present balance is $11,141.92.  This is our total (including grants) as the funds in the city account have all been utilized for necessary expenses.  In May our liability insurance premium of $863 will be due and they have been informed of our special needs project and security to see if that will require additional premium. The Treasurer’s report was approved.

A detailed update on the progress of the special needs area and the security system was provided by Darrel Jacobs and Jerry Venute as they have been the lead volunteers in its construction.  Darrel started the discussion by thanking all members of the team and others for their help and wishes that more help could have been available.  The fencing is up and all 3 areas are now clearly distinguished.  The concrete pads (parking and special needs) and sidewalks were just finished.  Consultation with C2 engineers , Paul Offut and others was necessary to ensure all was up to code and could drain adequately. As soon as the City completes the electrical connection near the entry the security system (Wagner Security) will be installed and special gates will be installed for the special needs area.   Access to water will come also to the special needs area.  The good news is that it is almost finished, a distinctive, attractive area that we can be proud of.  The bad news is that the costs went over budget and beyond the grants we have obtained.  While all the bills are not in it is felt that the costs of labor, supplies and site preparation will be in the range of $13,000.00+ and concrete $6000.00 or around $20,000.00.  The security system with installation and 100 fobs should cost around $2000.00.  We will be able to terminate a membership for cause by an adjustment in the control box so that his fob is no longer active. Considering our present balance of $11,000.00 we are going to have to come up with 11,000.00 to cover just these costs.  Following a lengthy question and answer session a motion was made and seconded to approve the report and the vote taken. The report was approved.  Fund raising efforts will be discussed in new business.

Maintenance-plans, projections and projects were presented by Jacobs, Venute, Wheeler and Fretty.  The fence rails (horizontal) are our main problem.  We have been advi9sed to spray them with bleach and then follow with an expensive chemical spray.  This has consumed money and countless volunteer hours but is now complete except for the new fence for the special needs area.  It is anticipated this technique plus touchups will add life to the rails.  This rapid deterioration was a disappointing surprise to all of us that had planned this fence.  The chemicals are on hand .

The drainage for the north end and mid park has been improved with fill and tiling.  The north end now has two new entities “The Bridge and Lake Mistake” One more new tile is planned for east of the Bridge and Lake Mistake.  Spraying of weeds and thistles will be done by volunteers as last year.  Fretty, Wheeler, Venute are the mow volunteers and will be requesting city help to get the mower ready for summer season.     It is hoped we can acquire a mulch blade.  It was pointed out that our mower was used when purchased and one of these days it will be necessary to purchase another.

The abbreviated rule form was presented by Elisabeth Grzelak.  It is essentially the same as the back of our rule book and those posted on the sign at the park.  It was approved as presented by vote.  A copy will be enclosed with minutes.  This lead to our discussion of what type of brochure do we need to develop to promote the park and make people aware of its new improvements.  Much discussion followed as to what should be the contents.  Short rule form? Membership application for tag?

It was finally agreed that a new form be developed with pictures and description such as were developed for our fund raiser with Carmack Car Capital.  Elisabeth will proceed to develop it with Cassie who was very instrumental in the event.  She created a beautiful form and we need something similar   that will emphasize our Special Needs area and new security system.  The members present at the meeting felt that the new security system will be a big plus in encouraging dog owners to join.   Once this new brochure is completed we can approach merchants to “stuff” it with their merchandise.  For example Pet Supplies Plus has been very helpful.  It is so critical that we increase our membership so adequate income is generated to maintain the park.  We must obtain volunteers to re-visit all the veterinarians and groomers to get the word out.  Depending on location and activity the admission and rule forms could be incorporated in the presentation.  We must also make the rounds of all the service organizations with this update and in the presentations a plea for financial help can be incorporated.

The Humane Society inquired about having access to the park so that their volunteers could exercise dogs that are being held.  The Humane Society is only able to afford rabies vaccination on these dogs and many times only a much abbreviated history about aggression or other undesirable traits is known.  The final consensus was that in view of unknowns and potential risk to present members and their dogs we would not be able to permit their entry into the park.  All present members dogs have been vaccinated against Leptospiral virus and the Humane Society cannot afford this.  However this is not a closed issue and if changes  are made it can be re-visited because it could be a good thing for the community.

New Business

The question was raised by Darrel Jacobs about the feasibility of offering FETCH hats to new Rangers or friends of Fetch.  After discussion it was felt it would not be wise to consider any new expenses considering our financial position.  We think it is good for identification of the Rangers but feel we should ask them to purchase their own.  If anyone wants to purchase Darrel has the name of a provider.  This approach was approved by those present.

Darrel Jacobs then raised the issue of membership and Leadership.  The 2 senior members, John Mason and Darrel Jacobs are getting older and are having major changes in their lives that is affecting their availability and capability.  We need to develop succession plans.  Considering our present membership and the ongoing issues of completing the Special Needs area and security it was not felt to be a good time to change anything but it points to the need to increase membership and increase involvement of present membership.  It was suggested that we contact all the present members via their email to inquire about service on the Leadership Team and/?/or become Rangers.   Elisabeth will get this started but all of us must help

The final item for discussion centered on what we could do to raise funds to cover the debt that has arisen in the construction and development of our new project—Special Needs and Security.  Member David suggested that we re-visit the grants from Wheeler and Cadle hoping they could allow some more funds.  It was also suggested we reach out to Foundations such as Presence and Vermilion HealthCare to see if they could help or have suggestions.  We should also make presentations to the service clubs not only for promotion as mentioned earlier but to seek their help with donations.  AMBUCS with their history in the Special needs area will be contacted.  John Mason will make contacts in these areas. The question of forming a 5013C was re-visited.  For the size of our operation and the cost and effort to maintain it did not appear to be a helpful option.

At 7PM the financial topic and its discussion were exhausted with no emergent solutions apparent a motion was made to adjourn.  When all the bills are in it may finally require some type of loan until we can raise the funds.  The Team and its members will continue to search for solutions.

A motion to adjourn was made and approved

Respectfully Submitted

John C. Mason, Jr. MD

1 2 3 4