Minutes – October 16, 2012

posted in: Minutes | 0

Minutes of Annual Meeting FETCH DOG PARK October 16, 2012

Danville Public library Meeting Room 6 PM

The annual meeting of the Fetch Dog Park Advisory Group was called to order at 6PM

Attendees: Leadership Team and members 21 total   absent because of prior commitment Steve Lane

Reading and Approval of the Minutes

The meeting was opened by JMason.  All present introduced themselves.  The April, May, July Leadership Team minutes were reviewed with the principal issues summarized. Those issues were

  1. Development of protocol and forms to report incidents at the Park and appeals form along with review of our Letter of Agreement with the city of Danville.  All now on our web site
  2. Design, purpose and scheduling of radio program to promote the park
  3. Study and discussion of merger proposal of city/county animal control and adoption.  DJacobs has taken a leadership role
  4. Training, supply and case discussions of Ranger functions.
  5. Dog training class experience

After discussion of the summary the minutes were approved as printed on our web site.

Treasurer Report

EGrzelak presented the Treasurers report.  After much effort she obtained a printout from the city Treasures office.  We now have a balance of $10,277.81. This figure includes payments for Neuhoff Broadcasting ($825), clutch for mower-parts only ($475.62), and annual web site fee (first time ($118.00). It includes receipts of HS tag sales ($708), cookbook sales/donations ($1575.00).  Costs not included but presented by DJacobs for gas, fertilizer, ranger training gear will be around $1500.00 leaving our balance at around $8800.00.  Without any unusual expenses it appears that the $1500 amount is what will be needed for annual minimal maintenance.  The web site continues to popular and useful.  It averages about 75 hits per day and has all our important information. It is very easy to navigate.  Thanks to Steve Foster. These figures were discussed and the treasurer’s report was accepted.

Incident Reports and Resolution

Three significant incidents at the park were discussed and their resolution presented

  1. Dec 2011 A member brought a dog to the park that was in heat-he considered that the rule forbidding this was not important.  At Rangers insistence he departed in a state of anger.  He was sent a RRR letter outlining the serious nature of this rule and spay/neutering was recommended.  On receipt of the letter the matter was later discussed with the Ranger and satisfactory resolution occurred. JMason
  2. Aug 20 A man and boy were in the park with two dogs (no Fetch tags) that became very aggressive a member and her dog.  They refused to exercise control over the dogs and used abusive language directed to the member. No Rangers were present but the member reported the incident.  The party was identified and a RRR letter sent with a copy of rule book and a reminder the park was for all to enjoy.  If they wanted to use the park they should purchase tags and obey the rules.  It is their responsibility to control their dogs. JMason
  3. Sep 3 2 men were in the park talking and restraining the dogs on leash.  When approached by a Ranger asking why on leash one of the men (whose dog had a tag) became angry and verbally abusive to the ranger talking to the other man whose dog did not have a tag.  Another Ranger came on the scene and at the request of the first Ranger took over the matter.  A letter was sent citing violation of 3 rules and a warning that further incidents could result in banishment. SHoughton, JLinville
  4. Sept/Oct 2012 Unresolved. Investigation ongoing   A member went to enter the park when she noted a Rottweiler pup in the park just outside of the holding area with a metal collar with prominent spikes on it.  She asked the man to remove it so her dog could play with the pup (avoiding injury) and he refused and became threatening and very foul mouthed.  He also stated he was training the dog to be an attack dog. The dog did not appear to have a tag. The member wisely left.  She was unable to get a license number on the large gray/white pickup. This unacceptable behavior was discussed. The member could consider putting in a call to 911.  This would have been acceptable and would have established that a citizen in our city park (Espenscheid) was being threatened.  The general feeling was that establishment of a “paper trail” might have benefit.

Efforts are ongoing to identify the party and bring some resolution.  It is important that we make strong efforts to report incidents like this to members of the Leadership Team and get as much information as possible.  The involved member was at the meeting so the incident could be discussed thoroughly.  Our backup is the Humane Society and the Police Dept.

One of the members stated that occasionally a car will pull into the parking lot and just sit there-no dog.  At times this can be disconcerting if you are there alone. We encourage members to schedule their visits so as to meet others but in situations like this one must be alert and recognize we are in a park and some might enjoy the beauty and quiet while having coffee or lunch.


During the course of the above discussions it became apparent that having access to the park for tag members only utilizing either a padlock or the electronic access key card need to be considered.  For security purposes it was the opinion of the group to pursue this option and evaluate costs.  The Leadership Team will investigate and evaluate. At some point a security camera will also be added by the city


The mowing expense, labor, and equipment was discussed by DJacobs who has been almost singlehandedly doing all the chores.  This also includes spraying for undesirable weeds.  We all thank him for the wonderful job.  Dr. Tom Halloran has applied the fertilizer with his equipment from the soccer field and does not charge for his labor. At present the park is in beautiful shape but there are areas at the gates into the small dog park that small dogs can get out by squeezing through.  This effort is being addressed by DJacobs.  It may require making the gates one-way only. Key card entry discussed above

The feasibility of a maintenance committee was mentioned but died from lack of interest.

The web site continues to be important and averages about 75 hits a day.

New Business

A new member stated that he heard about the park only by accident. It was his feeling that attractive posters placed in high traffic areas such as veterinary offices, grocery stores should be productive in getting the word out.  A small pamphlet near the poster telling about the park and how to join would be part of the promotion.  After discussion it was felt this was a great idea and should be pursued.  SHoughton and EGrzelak agreed to work on its development and would like to utilize some of the graphics and designs used by Kathy Mason in the development of our rule book.  They particularly want to use the Fetch logo with paw print in the “e”.

The feasibility of increasing the cost of tags to use the park was discussed in depth.  With the possibility of developing a key card access and its added expense all agreed that present fee could be increased by a nominal amount.  The Leadership Team will put this item on upcoming agendas after gaining more information on the key card system.


DJacobs briefly discussed his role in the Danville/Vermilion County proposed merger of its animal control/adoption arrangement and facility. He is process of gathering information and has met with the Vermilion County Board Chairman and toured their facility.  He has been unable to meet with the mayor but feels things are on hold till after the election.  During the tour he became so taken with one of the dogs that he now has 4 dogs.  He is hoping that someone will adopt it.  SHoughton and EGrzelak volunteered to assist in getting the word out.


There was no further discussion so the meeting was adjourned at 730 PM.


Submitted by JMason October 17

Minutes – May 1, 2012

posted in: Minutes | 0

Fetch Dog Park 5-1-2012 Leadership Team Meeting

5:30-7:15 Danville Public library 2nd Floor

Present: Shirley Barney, Elisabeth Grzelak, Steve Houghton, Darrel Jacobs, John Mason, Terry and Chris Shadley, Jerry Venute

Absent: Tracey Doss, Deb Fridy (resigning, Steve lane, Tony O’Neal (work), Tamara Schooler (work), Joe and Ruth Schatz (illness)


The meeting was opened by Co-Chair Mason and the minutes were approved as posted on website. Items in minutes were elaborated on:

Letters to Mayor,PS, HS were circulated re: increasing security at Park

Financials showing $9000.00 balance

Status of completion of shelter, poles are secure and waiting manpower freeup to set the “Tops”

New members Shirley Barney and Jerry Venute were welcomed to the team. Shirley Barney has  agreed to be a  ranger.

Darrel Jacobs then reported  on the meeting that CoChairs Jacobs and Mason had with Mayor Eisenhower  on Friday  April 27.  The rumors involving HS and possible solutions were discussed.  We expressed support for the HS in view of their cooperation with us and on repeated visits have seen nothing to support allegations. Tough job, tough conditions, limited resources but exploring new alternatives to improve the lot of animals was felt to be in order.  Improving adoption rates, increasing neuter/spay rates and decreasing need for euthanasia were all  goals to work on (no kill policy IDEAL).  We assured the Mayor that these were goals we concurred with and would support.  The time to work with the county government to achieve the best solution for the entire area seems to be at hand.  Perhaps in the future the Dog Park could even be a part of a collaborative NFP. We next discussed the problem of keeping track of our finances.  Gayle Brandon Lewis is apparently overwhelmed and cannot give us the support we need to keep track of donations, expenses and other necessities.  We also informed him of our plans to a trial 13 week radio series to make people more aware of the park and increase dissemination of information regarding animal health and well being.  In the latter we felt we could do informative interviews to enlighten the audience about new approaches to handling the dog population in the City and county.  He agreed to be a guest  on the program.


At the conclusion of DJacobs presentation the group discussed the possibility of funneling all income through one of our members prior to deposit.  Elisabeth Grzelak volunteered and was unanimously voted on and named Treasurer.  She will need to talk to Shawn to record the deposits he makes for tags.

The F.A.I.R policy was then reviewed and accepted as shown following the minutes of April 3 on website.  The Appeals form for documenting the step 1, 2, 3 of the process were then reviewed and the process and its form were approved.  Co-chair Mason will discuss with Steve Foster how best to incorporate this into website in rules and regulation tab. The thought is to place the May 19, 2009 letter of Agreement with City followed a brief paragraph introducing the need for policy and then follow with the Appeals form and FAIR policy.  Hopefully all can be downloadable and printable.  In the event we have a serious incident that carries through all 3 steps and the appeals process we can demonstrate a paper trail documenting all actions.  At the next printing of the rule and etiquette book this additional material will need to be incorporated.

In conjunction with the above Darrel Jacobs stated he is working on a paper to explain duties of rangers and the actions of any Leadership Team member or “Peer” member who might be called upon to be a member of the Peer Review Panel as called for in the FAIR Policy.  When ready the membership will be invited to the presentation.  More vests and hats are on order.  It was suggested that we have cards identifying Rangers to hand out if called upon while dealing with incidents at Dog Park.  All agreed that this is a good idea and Darrel is going to prepare them.  We would eachwrite our name onto a printed form card.


The radio program was discussed.  It was agreed we would sign on for a 13 week stint at one program a week.  Jerry Venute will arrange the times with the station and continue to seek sponsors   Several members of the Leadership Team agreed to be session sponsors and will send checks to EGrzelak for record and deposit.  Balance will be taken from our deposited funds.  DJacobs and JMason will meet with station officer Cindy Nygren and prepare schedule and topics (NOW SCHEDULED FOR MAY 15 AT 0930).  Our mission to increase awareness and support of Fetch Dog Park and the website www,fetchdogpark.org  and other topics that support the health and well being of the pet population (example noted above ).

Our friend and valued supporter, Deb Fridy, has stated that she is unable to continue being a contributing member of the Team and wishes to resign.  Her request for resignation was accepted with regret.  We thank Deb for all the time and effort she has given us.

There were no new incident reports but the problem of a? P Canero? pair without tags visiting the park was reviewed.  Apparently the owner has a Facebook page where he discusses breeding the pair for the purpose of providing fighting dogs for sale. This information has been relayed to authorities.

The meeting adjourned at 7:15 with several members planning to attend the City Council meeting where Alderman Williams petition re the Humane Society was to be discussed.


John C Mason, Jr MD

May 5, 2012

Minutes – April 3, 2012

posted in: Minutes | 0


Darrel Jacobs introduced Neuhoff Communications members, Anfield and Nygren, who discussed requirements for a 30 minute program to air mornings for 13 weeks to promote Fetch Dog Park and other related topics.  The cost would be 75.00 per segment.   Following the question and answer presentation the team decided to pursue the opportunity.  Houghton and Venutti were assigned the task of exploration and feasibility.  They will report back at the May 1 meeting.  4 team members agreed to sponsor 4 sessions.  Advertising, sponsorship, and participation will be explored with veterinarians, pet food suppliers and retail stores.

The minutes of Sept 6 and November 15 were reviewed and the status of the shelters, Financials, membership reminder mailings was reviewed. At latest tally 172 tags have been purchased for 2012. It is difficult to get current financials and there is nothing new to report since Nov 15 meeting. This difficulty was discussed.  Our efforts to get everyone on a Jan to Jan tag purchase a work in progress.

The history of park development and the role of the Leadership team were revisited.  Danville City Council Agenda of May 19, 2009 along with the Memorandum of Agreement signed by DJacobs and JMason were given to members of team present and will be copied with these minutes.  This material along with the F.A.I.R proposals being considered tonight need be made a part of our website.  A summary can be included in the next printing of our booklet with referral to website.  Copies of the Confidential Review Form of F.A.I.R (Fetch Appeals in Review) and policy were then discussed by DJacobs. Handouts of forms and policy were available.  Scenarios of use such as rule breaking, failure to purchase a tag, improper action by a handler with an aggressive dog were used to illustrate how the appeal form could be implemented.  The paper trail created would be handled by a team leader who would be responsible for counsel, oversight and dissemination of information to all Rangers and Leadership Team members as well as appropriate cooperative agencies such as the Humane Society.  It was agreed by all present that in those instances where action need be taken for the integrity of the park and the wellbeing of user/members that procedure documenting actions along with a process for remedy need be in place.  Prior to our next meeting the Team must review; make suggestions so it will be ready for vote.

The role, responsibilities and actions of Fetch Park Rangers was then discussed.  A plan to address this is being developed by DJacobs and will be similar in scope to the training supplied to those who perform similar duties at Harrison Park Golf courses.  As a result of this discussion the team felt more rangers were needed so an effort will be made to recruit prior to the training session.  Dealing with this lead into incident discussion.  There have been 3 that were discussed

  1. Dog in heat – Return receipt requested sent to owner/handler regarding this worked well
  2. Unique Breed ??admission. Apparently a Presa Canario breeding pair was observed at the park and they were not members. No one knows who or were.  Would we want to issue a tag to this breed??
  3. Groups in late afternoon showing disregard of rules regarding children, smoking and failure to control dogs and pick up poop.

In response after discussion it was decided we need more and better trained rangers to cover more hours of operation, request unannounced patrols by police and Humane Society personnel.  Letters will be written to those in charge for their support.

Two initiatives to increase participation at the park were discussed.  Our Fetch booklets have been distributed to the Veterinarian offices to be given to pet owners as part of a welcome packet.  Deficiencies still exist in them being handed out on tag purchase at the Humane Society. Breed specific play dates were discussed but not felt to be appropriate with our relatively small numbers.

New Business:  DJacobs proposed that we begin considering an event at the park that will honor Dorothy Duensing ‘s memory.  She was quite an advocate for animals and established a Foundation that has funds for the improvement and care of animals.  Their significant donation early in the process was very instrumental in our success.  A “bone” has been purchased from Trigard to add to our Donor memorial.

Due to time issue the meeting was terminated at 755. The date of the next meeting is May 1 same time same place NOT AS REPORTED ON AGENDA AS MAY 10.  At that time the F.A.I.R  forms and policy will be voted on. We will have an update on the Neuhoff proposal  and more information on ranger recruitment and training.


John Mason

April 4, 2011

Minutes – November 15, 2011

posted in: Minutes | 0



The meeting was called to order at 6PM. JCMason served as Chairman. The 10 members of the Leadership Team present were introduced.  There was a total of 22 members present for the meeting.

All of our previous minutes are posted on the website and there no additions or corrections.

JCMason made a Funds & Facts presentation pointing out expenses, income and potential future costs.  A 2 page document with highlights was handed out to the group prior to the meeting and a copy will be attached to the meeting minutes.  Significant expenses were highlighted:

Fence Cost and Installation                               $17,409.00

0 turn 60 inch mower                                        $ 5800.00

Printing and Design                                           $ 3000.00

On order shelters and Benches              $ 5295.00


Significant income from fundraising efforts:                     $36,000.00

Includes Donations from Julius Hegeler Foundation,

Animal Welfare League of Illinois,memorials,sales and our Gala


Signage Donations:

“Designer Dog Bones” L. Schultz, Jim Gilliland


City of Danville


Website Design and Maintenance: Steve Foster of Beamsco.


It is very difficult to list and thank all of those who made our final opening in June of 2010 a reality.  Thanks to many people for their effort and support.  A more thorough acknowledgement is in the FUNDS&FACTS attachment.


Following the presentation and discussion a motion was made to accept the Summary Report and it is attached.


Steve Lane, our liaison with the City of Danville, was introduced and discussed many items and issues relative to the park.  He thanked the group for its continued interest and maintenance.

Pictures of the proposed shelters and benches were discussed.  There will be 2 in large dog area and one in small. Present tables will also be retained.   Signs citing hours of Dawn to Dusk are planned.  Large security lights are coming and increased police patrol. TV camera security is in the discussion stage..Concern about visibility along the road was discussed and increased trimming to increase visibility is planned. It is hoped we can develop toilet facilities perhaps utilizing the blue building. He gave permission to ventilate the covered poop bag receptacles. Steve answered questions, participated in discussion. He contributed greatly to our meeting and was thanked for the support we have received.

Following  Steve Lane’s presentation we returned to the discussion of DogPark issues.

Specifically:      website-no changes-working well

Grounds-look great from Darrel Jacob’s mowing (He and Shadly’s were thanked for gas purchase donations)

No specific cleanup needed at this time

Email communication working well to spread word to and thru Leadership Team

Brief discussion regarding its use in 2 episodes.

At Park we were reminded by SLane that a 911 call should be first. They have communication with all who should respond

Please continue to sell cookbooks. Make a good Christmas gift.  About 150 remaining to be sold.


Future financial needs as presented in FUNDS&FACTS.     Ongoing expenses are pointed out to be:    Seed and Fert               $500.00

Tags $                          $300.00

Reminder Cards           $150.00

Miscellaneous               $500.00

Est Total $1500.00 +or-



Tag Sales                                             Est Total $3000.00 +or-


Present Bank Balance$7000.00


After much discussion it was decide to hold tag prices steady but to increase the awareness that each year (Jan) is the time to buy new tags.  We are going to stress that in the reminder cards and discuss the necessity with the Humane Society to try and make new tags (both City and Park) a calendar year purchase. This will make it easier to enforce because all tags be same color for year.  We will place this information on website. We recognize this will be a short year for tag owners who purchased since June and surely in Nov but it will be a one time issue. In case of question they could consider it a donation.   DebFridy andElisabethGrzelak volunteered to help with card sendout in Jan. Darrel and JMason will seek a meeting with Shawn at Humane Society and go over this as well as other issues in early Dec.  All things considered it was felt a new fund raising initiative should be started.  EGrzelak presented a dog/photo/calendar proposal that looks promising. A vote was taken and the group agreed to support it.  Deb Frdy and Elisabeth agreed to be the CoChairs of this initiative  and report to the Leadership Team. It would have to be finalized in Aug of 2012 to be ready for 2013.  Final decision will reflect cost, advertising revenue, and price.  A $15.00 estimate seems a bit high and certainly we would need some guarantee of sales before proceeding.

It was decided to try and hold a Spring Group meeting at the park and try to emphasize it as a  social event.  Steve Lane suggested we consider using the Parks Dept capability to present an outdoor movie.  The Leadership Team will work on this in their future meetings


At 730 PM the business portion of the meeting concluded and the meeting adjourned. The remaining caps, Tshirts, cookbooks and bands on display were available for sale and several  were purchased Prepared and submitted byJCM 11/17/2011 Emailed out for Adds,corrects

November 15, 2011





Split Rail                                              $7389.00

Big R Wire                                             3120.00

Install Alvin Fence                          6900.00

Total      $17,409.00

Prep work and Parking

City of Danville                 Donated


Lawn tractor                                       $5800.00

Gas, labor donated to this point for mowing (Darrel & Tony)

Seed, fertilizer,aeration                               $1300.00

Dr. Halloran and Danville Soccer Volunteer and equipment

Berry’s Chemical, seed, plants  $900.00

Labor and equip donated

Well with water to FETCH

City of Danville, Espenschied Family

Waste Pickup                                    City of Danville


Pamphlets, Faulstich                     $1839.00

Design FIA Card                                $1200.00

Rules&Regulation Booklet          Donation

Design KMason, printing


Tshirts and Bracelets                      Donated

Gala gifts in kind                              Donated

Roundup weed killer                     Donated

Website Development  and maintenance

Steve Foster Beamsco   Donated

Fetch Dog Park Dog Bone signs  Donated

Larry Schultz

Jim Gilliland

Publicity                                              Donated

Commercial News

Mary Wicoff


Doug Quick WICD

Poop Bags           County Market  Donation

Prep, Delivery and install Poopbags

Joe Schatz                           Donation



Memorials          Trigard                  Donation

Rules & Reg        City of Danville Donation


Shelter and Bench’s

$5295.00 on order



Fund raising, Donation, Volunteer Efforts, Gifts

Includes support from Julius Hegeler II Foundation,

Animal Welfare League of Illinois,

Gala Grand Opening June 12,13 2010

START UP INCOME                                           $36,000.00

STARTUP EXPENSES                                        $28,225.00

BALANCE $7775.00

SHELTER & BENCHES       -$5295.00             =$2480.00


Cook Book

Sales to Date                                                                                     $ 8075.00

Printing                                                                                                                   5247.00

Inc          $2828.00 More to sell!!

BALANCE AS OF October 27 $7000.00


We made it Thanks to many volunteer hours and efforts the City of Danville has a beautiful Dog Park.  A special thanks to the City of Danville administration-Mayor Scott Eisenhauer, Doug Ahrens and Steve Lane.


Going For ward



Tag Sales                                             Inc          $2500-3000.00

Cost                                                       $300.00

Reminder cards                                                $150.00


EXPENSE                                                                              $???

Mowing? Volunteers have been doing

Grass seed and fertilizer                              $500.00

Plus Volunteer help

Poop Bag and Disposal


TV Surveillance

Locks tied to tag ownership


Summary compiled from City of Danville Financial records and rounded off. November 2011, JCMason


Fund Raising Efforts for future (based on past and projected expense it is likely there will be a deficit of 1500.00 to $2000.00 some years)

Photo Calendar

Minutes – September 6, 2011

posted in: Minutes | 0


Danville Public Library 2nd floor

Sept 6, 2011

6:30-8:00 Pm

Present, D Fridy, E Grzelak, Joe and Ruth Schatz, T Doss, D Jacobs, J Mason

Absent: S Lane, Shadley’s (were not notified of the meeting due to error by JMason-apology made, error corrected)

The meeting was called to order and presided over by JCMason.  The minutes of the Nov 9, 2010 meeting as on website were approved.

A review of the Rules and Regulations as is on the website was reviewed.  They were especially reviewed in light of an incident in mid August.  An owner/handler was present when her dog became aggressive and the incident was witnessed by E Grzelak, T Doss, and Steve Houghton with all agreeing on the basic facts. Animal Control from Humane Society had been called and also witnessed acts of aggression. The handler refused to leave with her 2 dogs and the HS contacted Danville Police who responded promptly with those responsible leaving the park under protest. On August 16 the tags revoked and money refunded to the party by the HS.  Apparently the dogs had shock collars.  It was felt that there were several opportunities to defuse the situation along the way if the handler had followed suggestions in our handbook.  Since aggression is reason enough to leave it was not felt it was necessary to include shock collar in the handbook. More details as observed will be included in the minute book of Fetch Dog Park

The prompt response by the authorities was commended. The Humane Society has been making an effort to come to the Park and check tags to be sure all are in compliance.

The Appeals Process that was prepared by D Jacobs in response to a request from J Adams (Past director of HS) in June of 2010 was reviewed. A copy of it is present in the HS.  It discusses the process whereby someone who has had licenses revoked may regain the license by appearing before the Leadership Team that would serve as the Hearing Board.  It was felt this should be posted on the website and J Mason will discuss this with S Foster at the time the minutes are ready.

The financials from inception to July 31, 2011 were presented and discussed.  At present our balance is $11,478.54 as reported by Gayle (Lewis) at the City.  There is minimal discrepancy with J Mason figures that were calculated from balance sheets provided by Gayle  at City.  Going forward the sheets will be reviewed monthly.

A discussion was then held as to how funds the park will need should be raised.  Should the basic fees per animal be increased?  Most felt the increase should not take place yet.  We wanted it as low as possible so that more would be encouraged to take advantage of it.  Alternative ways of raising funds to take care of maintenance needs as well as improvements were discussed.  The majority felt that some kind of focused drive (similar to Vermilion Animal Shelter) should be held once every year or 2 as opposed to going around for “handouts”.  It was decided to table this discussion and study it.  It was suggested that we poll the members for ideas.

D Jacobs then began the discussion of new business items.

1.       He gave a brief history of the gift to the city that allowed for the purchase of the 61 acres that became the Harry and Marguerite Espenschied Park.  Harry E gave the city the money for the purchase and named it in honor of his parents.  Harry, (son) died at age 92 in April 2011.  The printout from the DHS publication was given to D  Jacobs by M Denman, Supt of DHS

2.      The water is in the park and working.  The delivery of the water at the faucet has a unique design.  It is not a pump but a faucet that looks like a pump. Pushing handle forward and holding it allows water to flow after short delay. When handle is pulled back water stops and the water level falls down in pipe BELOW freeze level so no drainage at end of season necessary.

3.      NO FOOD IN PARK signs up at each gate.

4.      Arrangements being made to get a “bone” on our Donor sign to recognize the Animal Welfare League of Central Illinois for their financial contributions to Fetch Dog Park

5.      Two large “designer” type FETCH DOG PARK signs are being prepared by 2 designers in shape of bone.  One will be displayed on the arch at entrance and the other site to be decided ??at location near entrance off Kimball.

6.      Dog park Shelter.  After review of many options and in consultation with S Lane a final recommendation is made. It is 10’x10’ “umbrella type” pyramid (NOT CANTILEVERED) which can withstand winds 90 mph which brings it into city codes. The central support would be imbedded in concrete. The city could install it.  2 would be placed in large dog side and 1 in small dog side.  A specially designed bench 6’ for each was proposed. Total cost approximately $7000.00.  The Leadership Team voted for yellow “shade” and Steve Lane will be authorized to order. See illustrations at end of minutes.

7.      New trees are available and replacements for those not surviving are planned for October

8.      Dr. T Halloran is in process of aerating and fertilizing. No weed spraying is planned.

It was discussed that D Jacobs and J Mason would meet with HS officials and tour the facility, discuss 2012 tag orders and reminder cards.  We also plan to remind them to hand out our Fetch Dog Park booklets with new tags for anyone who does not possess one.

Discussion was started about time and feasibility of the annual meeting of membership but it was limited because it was closing time at library. Thoughts expressed were for the fall at the park /. Presentation of the bone for Animal League or installation of designer signs.


nEW dOG pARK bENCH 1.jpg

nEW dOG pARK sHELTER 1.jpg

Sorry the outline of the “cover” requires close look. This bottom one is it.

Respectfully Submitted JCMason 9/7/2011

Minutes – November 9, 2010

posted in: Minutes | 0

FETCH Dog Park

Minutes of Nov. 9, 2010 Meeting

Danville Public Library

5:30 pm

Attendees: Nancy Ruzic, Elisabeth Grzelak, Deb Fridy, Tony O’Neal. Tamara Schooler, Joe and Ruth Schatz, JCMason, Terry Shadley, Tracey Doss and Darrel Jacobs

The meeting was co-chaired by Dr Mason, Darrel Jacobs and Deb Fridy and was called to order at 530 PM.

The goal of this meeting was to discuss the production and sale of the FETCH Dog Park Cookbook. And to update on current/future issues of the Park.

1. Cookbook overview –

a. To raise $3000 by selling 600 books

b. Pre-sell, with prepayment, 300 books to cover the cost of the original shipment

c. Minimum profit of $5 per book

d. All recipes submitted by Dec. 31, 2010

e. Pre-sales will begin Jan. 2011 thru Feb. 15.

f. Finished product for Spring distribution by April 1, 2011

2. Budget for sales

a. A $500 budget for Cookbook sales and expenses was approved

3. Prizes for most cookbook sales

a. First place – $100 gift card

b. Second place – FREE park tags

c. Third place – t/b/d

4. What’s next

a. Submit recipes to Morris Cookbook

b. Publicize Pre-Sale ordering

a. Radio, newspaper, email, website

b. Open P.O. Box at Westville post office to receive orders by mail

c. Issue 3-part receipts to buyers – must present to receive book

d. Order cookbooks based on sales

5. Recent FETCH news

a. Tags will be sold in January for the year of 2011 and will be good for that one year.

b. The tags for FETCH will only be sold at the Danville Humane Society


c. County Market is donating the bags for the waste at the park

d. A Leadership Team is being formed to be the “Executive Committee” of the Park to deal with the day to day issues (SEE ABOVE 11-30-10)


b. Submit recipes

c. Distribute order coupons

1. Take to your work, church, grocery store, local business, etc.

Respectfully submitted . . . Deb Fridy

Minutes – September 14, 2010

posted in: Minutes | 0

FETCH Dog Park
Minutes of Sept. 14 Meeting
Danville Public Library 5:30 pm

Attendees: Nancy Ruzic, Elisabeth Grzelak, Deb Fridy, Tony O’Neal. Tamara Schooler, Joe and Ruth Schatz, JCMason, Terry Shadley, and Darrel Jacobs

The meeting was co-chaired by Dr Mason, Darrel Jacobs and Deb Fridy and was called to order at 530 PM.

The goal of this meeting was to discuss the production and sale of a FETCH Dog Park Cookbook. And to update on current/future issues of the Park.

1. Cookbook project overview –

a. To raise $6000 by selling 600 books

b. Pre-sell, with prepayment, 300 books to cover the cost of the original shipment

c. Minimum profit of $5 per book

d. All recipes submitted by Dec. 31, 2010

e. Finished product for Spring distribution by April 1, 2011

f. Cookbook Design and configuration – Coordinator: Deb Fridy

g. Recipe Submission – Coordinator: Elisabeth Grzelak

h. Book Pre-sales – $10 each- Sales Coordinator: NEEDED

a. Anticipated start date of pre-sales is November 1, 2010


o Someone to help get the recipe submission sheets out into the community

o A coordinator for the pre-sales


2. Flowers at the Park

a. Clematis are being planted on south fence

b. Planning to plant perennials at the entrance gate this fall using flowers donated from members yards

3. The well

a. The City is going to hire an electrician and a plumber to dig water lines for the well

4. The shelter

a. A plan to build a 16 X 16 shelter straddling the fence between the big dog and the little dog park is progressing and should be completed this fall

5. Safety issues

a. As you would expect, there have been a few dog fights. A procedure for dealing with aggressive dogs in regards to park admittance is being developed.

b. Bringing food and toys into the park seems to be the root of some of the dog fights. Please ask everyone you know that uses the park to please follow the rules that are posted . . . this is for the safety of both hounds and humans.

6. Park maintenance

a. Spraying – the park is being sprayed this fall by Berry’s. In order to kill the thistle and the poison, the spray needs to be applied at precisely the right time so that the root system is killed. This should alleviate those issues.

Next meeting?? Middle to end of October . . . based on quantity of recipes already submitted.

Respectfully submitted . . . Deb Fridy . . .

Minutes – August 17, 2010

posted in: Minutes | 0



5:30 PM

Attendees: Deb Fridy, Tony O’Neal. Tamara Schooler, Dana Johnson, Joe and Ruth Schatz, Clare Dodds, Dr. Denise Fischer, JCMason, Darrel Jacobs, TShadley, CShadley and Janice Kain

The meeting was co-chaired by Dr Mason and Darrel Jacobs and was called to order at 530 PM.

The meeting was opened by discussing issues that had arisen since there has been access to the Park before and after the Gala on June 12.

1. Tony reported that pit bulls appeared outside the park and essentially prevented some inside the Park from leaving. Humane Society responded and removed the dogs. The HS staff was well aware of these dogs because they frequently get loose. DISCUSSION: It was felt that the HS be consulted on this issue-is there a limit to this behavior that would require impounding.? Apparently they did not appear friendly and frightened the people in park with their dogs.

2. A 30# beagle got under the fence of the east maintenance gate. A screen was placed over it to identify it. DISCUSSION: SHORT TERM FIX—2 wheelbarrow+ of dirt in area so owner could leash dog before gets out. LONG TERM—talk with Steve Lane about putting asphalt chips on inside of gate and then gate would open only one way-out

3. It was felt too many people are not watching and picking up poop after dogs. Weekends are worse. Poop patrol rounds production increases from 3-4 bags to 10-15

DISCUSSION: D JACOBS HAS GOTTEN A SOURCE OF BAGS. The new owner at Priceless Foods on Fairchild has agreed to furnish rolls of plastic bags that are used for produce. Darrel is preparing signage to acknowledge the gift and encourages all “volunteers to thank him when in store”. They will need to be re-rolled to accommodate our dispensers. Joe Schatz has agreed to take that project on and help keep dispensers full.

Steve Lane will be asked to get some new signs made for inside the park to remind people to pick up. It also behooves all of us to be on alert and tell the owner if their dog is doing his business. Please remind all to tie a knot in bag to keep down flies and odor.

4. City probably will install surveillance cameras at some point for added security.

5. The well has been successfully drilled and the water source (@approx 180+ feet down) is located on the west side of the fence close to junction between large and small park. DISCUSSION: It was felt the water could be piped into each close to the junction (N/S—E/W) fence so each park have its own source with very little pipe being needed. Drainage is reasonable here. Eventually it would be nice to have a fixture with a lower bowl so dogs could easily access it. We are not aware of any timetable for completion of this. We are grateful to the Espenscheid family for their foresight on this issue.

6. Shelters: Discussion: Be great to set up shelters in such a way that they could straddle fence so that small and large dog owners could socialize. Several areas are feasible for this. Meetings could also utilize them in less than wonderful weather. DJacobs suggested that perhaps pavilions at the abandoned Girl Scout Camp on Woodbury Hill in West Harrison Park might be utilized. Deb Fridy volunteered her husband to check feasibility. As we improve the amenities of the park hopefully we can accomplish something for shelter.

7. Remind Aqua that they volunteered to put some re-cycled hydrants in the park. Hopefully this might save trees or future plantings. Future planting of flowers has been discussed over email but did not come up at meeting.

8. Concern about hours and extension as days shorten: Discussion: It was pointed out the hours are dawn to dusk and it does not seem practical to change that. Lighting for night use is not in the foreseeable future.


Darrel Jacobs discussed past, present and future concerning our finances and upcoming expenses. We initially raised about $25,000.00 and this paid for signage and fence. Subsequently it became apparent that we would need a good mower since we would be responsible for mowing in our area. Dr. Halloran filled in capably in the beginning but it was felt we should have our own mower. After looking at 3 dealerships and their equipment we felt B&D had the best used mower for the money and our needs. JMason and DJacobs put some money in to make sure there would be no shortfall (mower 5800.00). The city maintenance man checked it out and o.k.’s our purchase. Most of the mowing duties have been handled by DJacobs and Tony O’Neal and it is going very well. Takes about 5 gal of gas per mowing and around 3 hours of time-start to finish.. With Dr Halloran’s equipment and expertise we are planning to aerate—seed– and fertilize this fall. Also with Berry’s expertise we plan to spray a special herbicide ($150.00/qt.) to take care of broadleaf and especially Canadian Thistle this fall. Steve Lane feels the city equipment can help with the spray. Planning and preparation for this is underway. Since purchase of mower we have had several significant donations and have approximately $1000.00 balance in our fund but we will need to raise more as we continue to improve the quality of the park. DJacobs has asked Mr Bill Bounds who is one of the leaders of the Animal Welfare League to consider another donation to assist us. DFridy is also a member of the group and believed there was a meeting coming up at which that request would be discussed. Over 200 tags have been sold.

Everyone who has visited the park has been impressed by its beauty and visitors say it compares favorably with any others they have seen or visited.


The idea of a walkathon was discussed. It could promote three purposes

1. Make more aware of the Park and its trails to walk. 2. Increase awareness and usage of the Dog Park and thus increase membership 3. Promote foot health

Dr. Fischer commented she would be glad to work with the organizers and felt she could obtain Pedometers. Free foot exams and Blood pressure checks could be added. After much discussion it appeared the best date would be a Saturday-Sunday October 23 & 24 after the Covered Bridge Festival. A 2 day event would be needed because of conflicts on Sat or Sun. Even the group present had conflicts that could limit participation at one of the days. Deb Fridy agreed to be chairman and pursue planning and organizing volunteers. We hope to appeal to walkers and runners and utilize the trails in and around the Dog Park. An appeal will be made to volunteers that were not present at the meeting.

Respectively submitted, JCMason 8/21/2010

Minutes – June 3, 2010

posted in: Minutes | 0

MINUTES Dog Park Meeting Tuesday June 3, 2010 at JCM house

ATTENDEES: Gourley, Ruzic and Frannie, Grzelak, Shadley’s, Anderson, Jacobs, Fridy, Schooler, O’Neal, Mason. Larry Anderson a new member (ph213-1672,1711 N State, Westville,61883

The meeting was opened by D Jacobs. He presented what is developing at the park now and tentative arrangements for locating vendors, cars. The tag sale area, auction items will be placed east of entrance along fence and under tent cover, any dog vendors will be under shade around periphery, Big R at west because of power needs, Tractor supply along fence so water access for troughs is easy. With proposed 8-10 vendors they would be placed in grassy area south of main park lot. Over flow parking along south entry road and around blue building. Jacobs, O’Neal, Anderson, and Mason to be there at 0900 on Sat June 12, 13 to help with vendor location and parking. Anderson to find “yellow jackets” for Identification and “stand-outs”in the parking process. Blue hats for volunteers on the way from Jacobs. Weiner King near ticket sales, Custard Cup near radio setup with Big R. Volunteers Mason, O’Neal and Shadley will bring some “extra “poop bags” Steve Lane is working on dispensers and hopefully they will be ready of Gala. (See our Flyer above) LINK TO GALA

J Adams from the Humane Society has volunteered to be in charge of tag sales and can be assisted by Grzelak, Ruzic, Gourley and Shadley’s. For those who do not have rabies paper s they will be given receipts for their fees and can pick up tags at Humane Soc later as they present receipt with rabies certification papers. They can use receipt for their free hot dog. At adjacent tables the door prizes, auction items and a 50/50 donation ticket sale will be available. T-shirts and wrist bands to be available

The 50/50 donation will be sold as a $1.00 dollar ticket or 6 for $5.00 or 12 for $10.00 and drawing each day. Half proceeds to Dog Park and ½ to winner. Must keep ticket and be present to win. Drawing daily near 3PM

Using the list of gifts solicited by Schooler, Gourley, and others– tabulated by Hoaks a selection of door prizes and auction item groupings will be developed by Hoaks and Gourley. Hoaks has developed a format which she will prepare so that those volunteers at table can promote and keep track . Jacobs has purchased a roll of tickets that can be used for door prize drawings and also for the 50/50. Highest bidders for auction items can be notified on Sun. All comers are eligible for door prizes. They can pick up ticket at table and keep appropriate stub with the other portion going to the drawing jar. Winner has t o be present with ticket. Drawings around 3PM each day.

Deb Fridy volunteered to be in charge of drinks and has a friend to volunteer with her. Pepsi has donated 5 cases and she will purchase additional along with water. The water will be sold for $1 and after re-imbursement of her costs any profit will go to DP. The price of Pepsi will be determined by cost but figuring the 5 free cases the cost will be kept down profits dealt similar to water. Anderson, O’Neal, Mason and Jacobs to bring 2 coolers with ice.

Mason presented copies of invites, fliers, programs and the informational booklet on dog park etiquette that will go with each tag sale. Schooler and O’Neal provided a stack of colored fliers . The program only deals with events of leash cutting, plaque unveiling with remark s by Mayor and other city officials and will be handed out on Sat. The invites and fliers to be presented to friends and establishments for FYI and hopefully increase attendance. Mason is to mail invite and flier to all donors of record.

A plea was made to encourage friends to volunteer on Sat and Sun. O’Neal and Sanders to check Friday on any mowing needs. All of us would be available as gofers as well. Mason to bring 3 chairs, 2 card tables and one folding table. O’Neal and Schooler may have access to some chairs and tables and D Jacobs to check on Church.

Meeting adjourned with a tasting of wine developed by Jacobs. The product was approved for sale as a silent auction item. Time 730PM Jcmason

Minutes – August 27, 2009

posted in: Minutes | 0

DOG PARK MINUTES August 27, 2009

Civic Center


16 signed in: Jennifer Wright, Kathy Hoaks, Bob Mitchell, Michelle Hein, Nancy Ruzic, Elisabeth Grzelak, Tracy Larsen, C. Luanne Freed, Kelly Freed, Terry Shadley, Marilyn Cox, Carol Carter, Todd Mcntyre,Darrel Jacobs, John Mason. Alderman Steve Foster


The meeting was opened by J C Mason at 1730 who presented the financial total to date of $18,291.15. The expense of printing brochures by Faulstich has been paid out of Donations ($1838.85) leaving us with the above balance. Wrist band sales have been relatively brisk at 1-$3 2-$5 and T-shirts at $20.00. We are running out of Beagle shirts and there are now 75 Maggie shirts on order from Apparel Unlimited on Georgetown Road. All thank you and memorials have been mailed and we are current to date. 56 sent out. The procedure is this-presented by J C Mason: The City of Danville office prepares the formal thank you letter and its amount on their stationery. I will pick these up at appropriate intervals and mail them out with our DOG Park thank you’s (hand and paw handshake). If it is a memorial then a separate letter goes to them with just our paw and hand letter.

We now have a letter prepared by the city over Doug Ahrens title that Darrel or I can print out after we put in the name of the prospect, i.e. County Market confirming ahead that the donation or service is tax deductible as made to City of Danville/Dog Park. City Finance Director, Gayle Brandon want s a copy of each letter so they can be tracked. IRS implications were reviewed by Darrel Jacobs.


In view of the nice article and pictures we need to continue our fund raising efforts anticipating costs of fence will be higher and if funds allow we could add some amenities at startup. STRIKE WHILE IRON IS HOT. The contacts list was reviewed, updated and discussed. Copy to be included with minutes. There are some loose ends as noted that will need to be addressed by personal contact and Darrel Jacobs and J C Mason agreed to continue pursuing them. The member ship present was encouraged to make personal contacts of lawyers, dentists, physicians, chiropractors, merchant s and friends. Plenty of brochures are available. Our updated and re-designed poster was redone, framed and enclosed with Plexiglas. Images on Gilbert did a wonderful job on it. They also did not make any charge for their services because they thought it was great cause for the city of Danville. Great In-Kind donation. This will be put to great use in presentations such as upcoming noon Rotary on October 26

Diana Bryant was unable to attend the meeting but provided an update from the Vermilion County Animal Shelter via email:

1. They no longer mail out rabies alert letter-just postcards. With the loss of that potential spread of information we will need to pick up the brochures and search for other mailing sites-water Company , Banks etc

2. There is the feeling that the use of their “Doggy Banks” for funds collection might confuse donors so that offer is off the table


A decision was made to pursue the bagging and carry out at County Market. The letter requesting this from the city indicating deductibility has now been prepared and mailed to E Grzelak who will be scheduling and calling for volunteer s

It was decided we would not initiate the selling of Elder Berman coupons at this time. Some concern that this would hamper similar efforts by the schools

Daschund Festival at Fairgrounds on Sept 12 appears to be an attractive opportunity. Kathy Hoaks has assumed the leadership role here. The poster, wrist bands, T-shirts, brochures and informational material about our ink cartridge recycling will be displayed. All who can help please contact Kathy The application has been submitted.

Todd McIntyre suggested the Ellsworth Park Festival and he is looking into that and organizing it. If you can help please contact Todd . Coordination with Kathy for display material and wrist bands will be necessary.

Ink jet recycling. The Funding Factory of 380 E Bayfront Parkway, Erie, PA has provided a START Kit with direction for packing and also the size cartridges they will accept. We are working on getting this project up and running. We have received a large assortment from TRIDAN and Walgreen’s (acct on Voorhees). We have talked to County Market (N&S) and will be contacting BCBS for their used cartridges. Kelly and Luanne Freed have volunteered their talents for box construction for the County Markets. Hopefully the word will spread and this will provide income down the road for items we need (i.e. poop bags). With success we will need to organize sorting and packing parties. www.fundingfactory.com. Email: Info@funding factory.com. They have been contacted and posters, shipping boxes and labels for pre-paid UPS is on the way. Volunteers will be need in this promising effort.

Website Ready

Thanks to the talents and generosity of Alderman Steve Foster and his website development company, BEAMSCO, we have a beautiful website. As it develops we will be able to describe our park, have the rules and regulations readily available, fees, memberships, etc. Our brochure will help in donations and provide usage and membership information. Steve gave a brief presentation of the fundamentals, has provided all the fees necessary and we are up and running. Very- Very exciting. Thank You, Steve, from all the volunteers in the Fetch Dog Park Group. Great in-kind donation. www.fetchdogpark.org


A general discussion regarding what routes we might take at this point from informal group to a more formal group with bylaws developed. This discussion was lead by Kelly Freed as a prelude to his presentation and drafts for rules and regulation. He had prepared a packet with a format followed by his suggested ONE PAGE RULES AND THEN A PAMPHLET VERSION WITH MORE DETAIL. A COPY WAS HANDED OUT TO MOST MEMBERS PRESENT WITH PLAN THAT THEY WOULD READ, DIGESTED, AND BE READY TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE FINAL FORM AT THE NEXT MEETING.

The consensus favored a formal organization that could present, represent and be a valuable resource to the City that would be a force in ensuring the success and longevity of the Dog Park Concept. Eventually bylaws will be needed

At this point a Nominating Committee was proposed with the charge of developing officer structure and organizational guidelines to help the volunteers move forward and create an organization that will ensure survival of the Dog Park Dream. Volunteer members: Kathy Hoaks Chr, Kelly Freed, Nancy Ruzic, Tracy Larsen, Elisabeth Grzelak spoke up early but any who want to help please contact Kathy Hoaks

T he meeting concluded at 710 PM. Thanks to all who attended. Diana Bryant, Deb Fridy, Jeannette Gourley expressed their desire to be present but unable because of circumstances beyond their control. 7 new members expressed their desire to help.

Respectfully submitted. Will be attached to Yahoo and our new website.

J C Mason

1 2 3